Thursday 26 April 2012

Modular Gaming Table - Part 1

The other weekend I took delivery of the materials for my modular gaming table I am building


The local DIY had an overstock of Extruded Foam Insulation panels, so I picked up 12 40mm thick Sheets. This stuff is ment to be the replacement of the "blue stuff" and "pink stuff" that is commonly used.



I plan on making 2' by 2' tiles that interlock together to form any number of panels in multiple configurations. The plan is to lamenate a 40mm sheet onto 2' by 2' MDF panels and sculpt in valleys, rivers etc into the them, and form hills and cliffs by layering more sheets ontop.

I have 24 MDF panels cut, which should allow me to create a large variety of terrain


So far I have made 6 panels and a mess cutting the foam! All going to plan I will have them finished before Southcon in June so they can be used at the tournament



Im not sure how I will interlock them yet. I have considered large dowels of magnets, but am not sure how well they will preform with the foam. The final result will be great from creating massive Apocolypse tables!

No comments:

Post a Comment